The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids) in Toronto has announced that homegrown pop star Shawn Mendes and his charitable foundation has donated $175,000 to health care facility's own foundation for much-needed coronavirus preparedness.
"We are so grateful to Shawn and The Shawn Mendes Foundation for their continued support of SickKids Foundation and our hospital in Toronto. This generous and timely donation will assist our hospital with increased efforts in prevention and screening of COVID-19," Ted Garrard, CEO of SickKids Foundation said in a statement.
Mendes' donation will help purchase necessary supplies and equipment required to battle exposure by SickKids to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Canadian pop star on his Instagram page told his fans he had been working with his foundation "to find the best ways to support COVID-19 relief efforts and to direct resources to where we can make a difference."
The result was Mendes' donation to SickKids "to help support the urgent screening and prevention of COVID-19 in my hometown of Toronto," he added.
Mendes added that, for the next month, all donations to The Shawn Mendes Foundation will be directed to SickKids, "as well as efforts being made internationally by the World Health Organization COVID-19 Response Fund.”
SickKids in Toronto, a world-renowned hospital for kids and young people, like other health care institutions worldwide has had to be vigilant against being overwhelmed by the coronavirus pandemic as it already cares for the sick and dying in its care.
"Families, friends and members of the public: please avoid coming to SickKids if your presence is not essential to the care of a patient who is currently at the hospital," the institution says on its website.
SickKids, which explains kids who are immunocompromised and have chronic medical conditions are at higher risk of complications from COVID-19, is also screening patients and families at entry points to the hospital for signs of illness.
"All patients and family members will be screened upon arrival at the Elizabeth Street entrance or at the parking elevators. Other entrances will be closed until further notice," the hospital warns.
The restrictions on access to SickKids due to the coronavirus outbreak came into effect on March 21.
The goal is to allow the SickKids to continue its health care and research efforts with minimal disruption.
"(SickKids) is a health-care community dedicated to improving the health of children. Our mission is to provide the best in family-centred, compassionate care, to lead in scientific and clinical advancement, and to prepare the next generation of leaders in child health.
Mendes' Foundation is also directing donations to a new fund from the World Health Organization (WHO) to tackle the global COVID-19 outbreak, initially with $15 million USD in donations from Facebook and Google. The COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund has been raising money from varied international donors to support the work of the WHO and its partners.Ben Affleck Wears Kenneth Cole Kicks With Kids Violet, Seraphina & Sam